Show all

Can I transfer my series E bonds?

series e

series e

New York - Series E Bonds may be transferred to grandchildren or children - however - the tax on income earned will not be.

When transferring bonds - there are two potential taxes: gift taxes and income taxes. Gift taxes are paid by the donor, not the receipt. But you can give up to $10,000 a year each to as many individuals as you want without incurring any gift taxes. The amount of your gift will be the value of the bonds at the time of the transfer. As for income taxes, the bond owner must pay what's due on the interest accrued between the bond's original purchase and their transfer to a new owner. If the bonds were purchased by yourself and say your children were listed as the co-owners, you would still all taxes on all the amount A pro-rata share would be applicable if you are a co-owner of a bond.

If you're looking for help managing your bond investments, consider working with a FEE-ONLY financial adviser from the Our network of FEE-ONLY advisers can offer unbiased advice, personalized guidance and help you make informed decisions about your bond investments. Ask us any question or obtain a free consultation at  Alternatively,  visit 1800ADVISER.COM to browse biographies of individual FEE-ONLY advisers and choose one or more to connect with. 


About Us

Founded in 1998, The Independent Adviser Corporation has assisted thousands of individuals, families, and businesses. We are 100% independent and objective and offer free private consultations. Our company publishes free investment research and educational materials, and when personalized financial or legal advice is needed, we connect clients with a network of FEE-ONLY professionals. For more information, become a member or to schedule a free consultation, please visit our website at or 1800ADVISER.COM