Show all

If I withdraw from my plan early, what are my penalties?

withdraw early

withdraw early

New York - The Internal Revenue Code states that, depending on your plan's provisions, you may receive a distribution from your plan:
  1. At age 59 1/2.
  2. At retirement, death, disability or separation from service.
  3. For serious financial hardship.
  4. At termination of the plan.
So, if you're retiring at age 53, you may receive a distribution.
The second rule, which is the one you're referring to, states that there will be no 10 percent penalty prior to age 59 1/2 if the distribution is "part of a series of substantially equal periodic payments made (at least annually) for the life expectancy of the individual or the joint lives or joint life expectancy of the individual and his designated beneficiary." It goes on to say that these payments must continue for the longer of five years or until age 59 1/2. So, if you retire at age 53, you would have to continue the payments until at least age 59 1/2 before you could change them. If you did this, you would pay ordinary income tax on the distributions but no 10 percent penalty. But, because you could do it this under the law doesn't mean that you will be able to under your plan.

This type of distribution may or may not be available to you under the terms of your 401(k) plan. The manner in which you may receive the distribution at retirement depends upon your plan document. Some plans only provide for a lump-sum distribution -- meaning that you receive the entire amount at once. Other plans will allow you to take distributions in the form of an annuity calculated on your life expectancy as previously explained. You should contact the plan administrator to determine what forms of distribution are available.

If the only way to receive the money from your plan were in the form of a lump sum, one of your options would be to roll it to an IRA and begin receiving distributions under the substantially equal periodic payment method. The financial institution that you move your money to a financial planner will be able to help you calculate the amount that you might be able to withdraw.
Are you looking to make the most of your 401k plan, but don't know where to start? specializes in helping individuals navigate the complexities of retirement planning. Whether you're changing jobs and need to rollover your 401k to an IRA or Roth IRA, or you're simply looking for a portfolio review, our team of FEE-ONLY financial advisers has the expertise to help you reach their goals. With a free consultation available by clicking here, there's no risk in reaching out to us to learn more about how we can help you create a secure financial future. Contact us today to schedule your consultation and start planning for the future you deserve. Alternately, you can visit 1800ADVISER.COM to browse biographies of FEE-ONLY advisers in our network and choose one or more that best fits your needs. 


About Us

Founded in 1998, The Independent Adviser Corporation has assisted thousands of individuals, families, and businesses. We are 100% independent and objective and offer free private consultations to our clients. Our company publishes free investment research and educational materials, and when specific financial or legal advice is needed, we connect clients with a network of FEE-ONLY professionals. For more information, become a member or to schedule a free consultation, please visit our website at or 1800ADVISER.COM