The Independent Adviser Corporation is committed to Great Privacy. We never sell your personal information.
We might ask you for your name, contact details, personal and financial information if you are asking us for help or in response to your request for a Free consultation. We might collect information about your device and location so that we can provide you with website services and comply with legal requirements. We might follow-up with you via emails for a number of reasons including marketing purposes. You can tell us to stop or not email you. We are committed to keeping you and your family's information safe and we designed our services with safety in mind.
Our websites are offered to the public for educational and informational use only, intended for a U.S. audience only and we do not provide any services in any other country.
We respect your ability to know, access, correct, transfer, restrict the processing of, and delete your personal data. If you choose to exercise these privacy rights, you have the right not to be treated in a discriminatory way nor to receive a less degree of service from us. Where you are requested to consent to the processing of your personal data by us, you have the right to withdraw your consent at any time. In order to do so, your identity may need to be further verified and can withdraw consent by completing this Privacy Related Concern Form.
We believe that you can get 100% Independent and 100% Objective advice and get connected with Fee-Only Financial Advisers, CPAs, and Attorneys with great privacy. This means that we will strive to collect only the personal data that we need. When you visit any one of our web sites, connect to our services, subscribe to our newsletters, join our 1800ADVISER membership program, contact us (including by social media), or otherwise interact with us, we may collect a variety of information, including:
- Account Information. Data about your email address.
- Device Information. Data from which your device could be identified, such as device serial number, or about your device, such as browser type.
- Contact Information. Data such as name, email address, physical address, phone number, or other contact information.
- Payment Information. Data about your billing address and method of payment, such as bank details, credit, debit, or other payment card information.
- Transaction Information. Data about purchases of our services or transactions facilitated by us.
- Fraud Prevention Information. Data used to help identify and prevent fraud, including a device or email trust score.
- Usage Data. Data about your activity on and use of our web sites, including browsing history; search history; service interaction; crash data, performance and other diagnostic data; and other usage data.
- Location Data. Data about your location including the location of you or your device with the same or greater resolution as a latitude and longitude with three or more decimal places.
- Financial Information. Details including salary, income, and assets information where collected, and information related to providing financial services.
- Other Information You Provide to Us. Details such as the content of your communications with us, including interactions with customer support and contacts through social media channels.
If you apply to become a professional member of our 1800ADVISER Fee-Only Network, we require you to provide certain information to us as well as information that will be posted publicly on our web sites. When you become a professional member, we may need to verify you identify and determine your eligibility to be a member through information that may include date of birth, social security number, a government-issued photo identification card such as driver's license and any professional certifications and membership organizations. Once you become a member, you control what information is posted publicly on our web sites.
You are not required to provide the personal data that we have requested. However, if you choose not to do so, in many cases we will not be able to provide you with the services you are seeking or to even respond to requests you may have.
We may receive personal data about you from other individuals, from businesses or third parties acting at your direction, from our partners who work with us to provide our products and services and assist us in security and fraud prevention, and from other lawful sources.
- Individuals. We may collect data about you from other individuals — for example, if that individual has invited you to visit one of our web sites, use any of our services, or shared content with you.
- At Your Direction. You may direct other individuals or third parties to share data with us. For example, you may direct your accountant, adviser, stockbroker, attorney or other representatives/agents to share data about you with us so that we can better provide you services including connecting you with a Fee-Only adviser.
- Social Media Networks. When you "like" or "follow" us on Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn or other social media sites, we may collect some information from you including your name, e-mail address, and any comments or content you post relevant to us. We also may collect your information if you interact with social media features on our websites, such as like and share buttons.
- Our Partners. We may also validate the information you provide — for example, when creating an account with us, with a third party for security, and for fraud-prevention purposes.
For research and development purposes, we may use datasets of our web sites visitors such as those that contain images, voices, or other data that could be associated with an identifiable person. When acquiring such datasets, we do so in accordance with applicable law, including law in the jurisdiction in which the dataset is hosted. When using such datasets for research and development, we do not attempt to reidentify individuals who may appear therein.
We use personal data to operate our web sites, to service you and process your transactions, to communicate with you, for security and fraud prevention, and to comply with law. We may also use personal data for other purposes with your consent. Depending on the circumstance, we may rely on your consent or the fact that the processing is necessary to fulfill a contract with you, protect your vital interests or those of other persons, or to comply with law. We may also process your personal data where we believe it is in our or others’ legitimate interests, taking into consideration your interests, rights, and expectations.
- Operate Our Web Sites. We collect personal data necessary to operate our website, which may include personal data collected to improve our offerings, for internal purposes such as auditing or data analysis, or for troubleshooting. For example, if you would like to subscribe to our Trusted Buy-Side investment research newsletters or visit our web sites to read our articles, we collect data on what articles you read in order to provide you with the content requested and to optimize our web sites to provide information that are most in demand.
- To Service You and Process Your Transactions. To service you and process transactions - such as connecting you with Fee-Only Advisers, we must collect data such as your name, address, email, phone number and other related information.
- Communicate with You. To respond to communications, reach out to you about your transactions or account, market our products and services, provide other relevant information, or request information or feedback. From time to time, we may use your personal data to send important notices, such as communications about purchases and changes to our terms, conditions, and policies. Because this information is important to your interaction with us, you may not opt out of receiving these important notices.
- Security and Fraud Prevention. To protect individuals, employees, and us and for loss prevention and to prevent fraud, including to protect individuals, employees, and us for the benefit of all our users, and prescreening or scanning uploaded content for potentially illegal content, including child sexual exploitation material.
- Personal Data Used for Personalization. If you choose to personalize your services or communications where such options are available, we will use information that we collect so that we can offer you those personalized services or communications.
- Within our Organization. We may share your personal data within our organization including legal entities and our employees or consultants so that we can provide you personalized services.
- Comply with Law. To comply with applicable law — for example, to satisfy tax or reporting obligations, or to comply with a lawful governmental request.
We do not use algorithms or profiling to make any decision that would significantly affect you without the opportunity for human review. We also do not use or disclose sensitive personal data for any purposes that would require a user to exercise a right to limit processing according to California law.
We may share personal data with our affiliated companies, service providers who act on our behalf, our 1800ADVISER network, our partners, developers and publishers, or others at your direction. We do not share data with third parties for their own marketing purposes.
- Our 1800ADVISER Network. We may provide your personal data to members of our 1800ADVISER.COM network which consists of Fee-Only Advisers, CPAs, Accountants, Attorneys and other professionals so they can provide professional services to you. We require our partners to protect your personal data in conformance with all applicable laws and regulations. We do not control the content of the websites of members in our 1800ADVISER network and they are responsible for complying with any regulations or laws that require notice, disclosure, and/or obtaining consent with respect to Personal Data. You may forward any concerns you have about their web site to us via this Privacy Related Concern Form and we will contact them on your behalf.
- Service Providers. We may engage third parties to act as our service providers and perform certain tasks on our behalf, such as processing or storing data, including personal data, in connection with your use of our services and delivering products or services to customers. Our service providers are obligated to handle personal data consistent with all applicable laws and regulations.
- Partners. At times, we may partner with third parties to provide services or other offerings. For example, we may refer you to partners for services that we do not directly offer but that are offered by our partners. We require our partners to protect your personal data in accordance with all applicable laws and regulations.
- Developers and Publishers from Whom You Get a Subscription. If you subscribe to our services, such as our Trusted Buy-Side Stock Research Newsletter, TheAdviserMagazine.com, or TheAdviserTimes.com, we use your email and may provide that to a distributor of such subscription. Your email may be used to provide reports to the developer or publisher, which include information about the subscription, your name and your address. This information is provided to developers or publishers so that they can understand the performance, such as proper and timely delivery of the subscriptions.
- Others. We may share personal data with others at your direction or with your consent. We may also disclose information about you if we determine that for purposes of security, law enforcement, or other issues of public importance, disclosure is necessary or appropriate. We may also disclose information about you where there is a lawful basis for doing so, if we determine that disclosure is reasonably necessary to enforce our terms and conditions or to protect our operations or users, or in the event of a reorganization, merger, or sale.
We believe that great privacy rests on great security. We use a variety of safeguards including administrative, technical, and physical safeguards to protect your personal data, taking into account the nature of the personal data and the processing, and the threats posed. We are constantly working to improve on these safeguards to help keep your personal data secure.
We understand the importance of safeguarding the personal data of children, which we consider to be an individual under the age of 13 or the equivalent age as specified by the law in your jurisdiction. If we learn that a child's personal data was collected without appropriate authorization, it will be deleted as soon as possible.
- Category 1 and Strictly Necessary Cookies. These cookies are essential to enable you to browse around our web sites and use our web sites features such as when you request a free consultation. These cookies are set as required to provide a specific feature or service that you have accessed or requested. For example, they allow us to display our maps in the proper format and language, to authenticate and verify your transactions, and to preserve the contents of searches when you seek to find a Fee-Only professional.
- Category 2 and Performance/Communications Cookies. These cookies are used to enable network traffic to and from our (or our partners) systems and web sites, including by helping us detect any errors. These cookies collect information about how you use our web sites -- for instance, which pages you go to most. This data may be used to help optimize our web sites and make them easier for you to navigate. The cookies are also used to let affiliates know if you came to one of our web sites from an affiliate and if your visit resulted in the use or purchase of a product or service from us, including details of the product or service purchased. These cookies don't collect information that identifies you. All information these cookies collect is aggregated and therefore anonymous.
- Category 3 and Functionality Cookies. These cookies are used to understand how visitors interact with our websites and online services, including by helping us to assess the effectiveness of advertisements and web searches. We also use these cookies to remember choices you make while browsing our web site sites, so we can provide you with a better and sometimes customized experience. For instance, we may store your geographic location in a cookie to allow us to show our web site localized for your area. We may also keep track of what featured services have been viewed to avoid repetition.
In addition to cookies, we use other technologies that help us achieve similar objectives. In some email messages we send to you, we provide a “click-through URL” that links you to content on our websites. When you click one of these URLs, they pass through a separate server before arriving at the destination page on our website. We track this click-through to help us determine interest in particular topics and measure whether we are communicating with you effectively. If you prefer not to be tracked in this way, you should not click graphic or text links in email messages.
You may also take other steps to op-out of some advertising programs that may use your information. This includes the Digital Advertising Alliance Opt-Out Page, the Network Advertising Initiatives Web site and YourAdChoices.com. You can contact us at by completing this Privacy Related Concern Form.
Attention: Privacy Control Officer, The Independent Adviser Corporation, 482. W. Main Street, Huntington, NY, 11743.
We take your privacy questions seriously. We will review your inquiry to determine how best to respond to your question or concern. In most cases, all substantive contacts receive a response within seven days. In other cases, we may require additional information or let you know that we need more time to respond. Where your complaint indicates an improvement could be made in our handling of privacy issues, we will take steps to make such an update at the next reasonable opportunity. In the event that a privacy issue has resulted in a negative impact on you or another person, we will take steps to address that with you or that other person. You may at any time — including if you are not satisfied with our response — refer your complaint to the applicable regulator.